The flowers are blooming, the birds singing and the bees buzzing. Undoubtedly its spring. This merry weather is definitely not one to keep the kids locked indoors. Let them out in the sunshine and explore the wonderful gifts of nature.
Allowing kids to feel their surroundings is important for healthy growth. It makes them immune to the environment they live in. Now that there is no excuse they should be kept in, here’s why it’s so important:
- They see new things and wonder. Kids find bees flying from one flower to the other. They wonder why the bee likes the blue and yellow flowers and not so much the aloe plant.
- They question why things are a certain way. Why bees sting and why do they like flowers so much?
- They absorb information, compare and make connections to build on their understanding. Now that they will have exploded you with heaps of questions surely, they must have retained some of it. Kids absorb new information like a sponge. They will begin to build on what they learned about bees and use that to build an understanding of other insects, but not limited to. Lady bugs for instance, don’t sting or bite and rather like to sit on green plants.
If children are not given the opportunity to explore we are unlikely to cultivate their interest for discovery. Doing this craft now would be really cool because they have something to relate to and a topic they have so much to talk about and ask questions. You never know where this may lead to and what follow-up activities you will come up with next?
What you will need:
- Printed Bug templates
- Felt pen
- Water paint
- Googly eyes
- Pipe straws
- Sticky tape
- Paint the bugs, and leave to dry.
- Trace along the edges to create a nice crisp outline. Ours mixed in with the water paint.
- Glue on the googly eyes, and now you are ready to cut.
- Flip the bugs over, and stick the straws at the back of each bug.
P.S. If you have any spring craft ideas that you would like to share with us we would love to hear from you in the comments below.
Oh and don’t forget to take these hand-made printable templates!
Click here for Free Printable Templates: